
In jewelry terms a finding is a small functional part, like an ear-wire or clasp...
finding also indicates a search... indeed, a formal determination of fact or law.
Might any of those notions be relevant to the process of growing into my own retirement? I've spent many hours searching for small functional parts on my work-surfaces... ofttimes finding the determination of a design. The Bells' catalog demonstrates that.
In addition, there are other bodies of my work: jewelry, sculpture, painting, calligraphy, plus my favorite essential--drawing, in any medium.
I have lived well as a artist. Mostly I've lived inside my mind & my mind's eyes. Oh... please add the dexterity of my fingers. All in concert.
Much of the time, I have directed well... in part because, being a gardener, I appreciate exuberant organic growth as much as a tightly written score.
Those fingers & eyes came with only a single lifetime guarantee. In my 81st year, I've sensibly made my walking stick a habit when I leave our home... 'have embraced the word flaneur as a self description. 'Have had cataracts repaired, one adjusted to serve closer focus & the other to give me the longer view so I stopped needing glasses. 'Learned how that messed with wearing the magnification devices which aided me for years, signaling the lesson to be careful about consideration of "fixes" which might not be fully factual...The eye surgeon had different, no doubt more precise, devices & considerations.
I am required to think better. Lessons continue to abound, especially when one doesn't connect as easily anymore with their previously reliable & comfortable facilities.
One needs to practice patience with more grace. Grace with gumption.
I hear the phrase "aging is not for sissies" rather more frequently as my peers grapple variously with aging. We know the ultimate denouement. Some seem only jokingly disgruntled, but most know we are better for accepting the challenge to practice more grace as an art form to save dignity. (See James Broughton's "Thinking About Death.")
No matter any sense of preparation, this entire process must remain our work to the very end. We must celebrate the ancient mysteries of the fates. This seems to become a form of living theater.
Thus, I must work harder & more cleverly. Trying to retire has been wearing on me. However, the three of us (Momo & GRB & Stephen) have been actively working to that end for the last year. We've asked Bill Monson, a friend of Stephen's, who does such consultation professionally, to help us plan & organize around the future of GRB Bells as part of a new business with Momo at the helm.
We all want very much for that endeavor to succeed, allowing me to finally retire, trusting that she can use my life's work as a designer to maintain my "babies" & reputation as well as the opportunity to further her creative career as well.



No comments:
Post a Comment