Thursday, October 16, 2014

Frogs & Fog...



Recent mornings have been rather mystically misty.

Bringing my morning coffee down to sit in the garden startles the frogs into silence for only a few minutes while they assess that I am no danger. I could not say "chorus", which certainly applies to the sound we often open car windows, slowing on our drive home, to enjoy passing several ponds higher on the slopes above Soundcliff.

As I settle the quiet restores & they begin again... usually only a trio or quartet of young explorers, presumably from those wet places further up-slope. I sip, celebrating that they chose to grace this garden at the edge of... well... everything! To have frogs, butterflies & bees, plus increasing variety of birdsong in our Eden gives some hope on our cliff's edge... emissaries of the Goddess.

How does one measure a garden's progress?  Years ago I grounded myself as quincunx to the center of the four raised beds I call "Roothole". I've held faith in the intelligence of growing beauty & food, rejuvenating my patchy gardener, after some years living urban... proving my devotion.

These musings sometime get warmed by bright moments aptly described  in our vernacular as the sun-breaks we cherish. The camomile bed begins to call me. I've ignored it this summer to the point I was ready to give up weeding it. Weeding again becomes meditation...

Summer has been gloriously sunny... the garden has similarly responded!

There is a lovely wild plant abundant in our neighborhood. I do not know any name, but we have dubbed it a "gourd". It is not. Instead it is a fragile husk which protects three large seeds, which develop into a sturdy perennial octopus-like root mass. While not on my list of weeds, I am chary to let its lovely rampant growth into my garden!


 The pea trellis eventually gave a long season of both snow peas & sugar snap varieties.


 It grew in the old fire-pit, which has developed rich soil...


I found seeds for a variety of beans I knew from the Mother Garden in Sonoma County... which we came to call "Dragon's Lingerie" mimicking the French name.


 We grow many kales & greens, but our favorite kale has long been Lacinata, rich substance, dark green. Late summer brought another old favorite in Trombonchino, a squash often living up to its name in shape!


Our favorite of the several varieties of kale we grow is Lacinatta, a deeply vital, dark green, rich in texture & nutrition... glorious fiber!


Squash blossoms are further boom, offering cavities to stuff with goodie before sauteing.

One result...



We love having fine displays from new bulbs... Hymenocalis, so reminiscent of blooms in Bali, we can only welcoming this exotic flower to Soundcliff's garden!



Another "exotique" was dug out between paving stones as I weeded...


This ginger was gift from Taylor some years ago. finally finding a home to bloom...


The challenge is to determine our zone as it might define our unique exposure for such specimens... I've a life's-work yet in this garden. 
I end with a nocturnal view of Soundcliff wishing you good night.


No comments: