Wednesday, August 06, 2008

LEO TIME...




Often a bit late, even though I am an early Leo... I have always celebrated both the 27th & 28th of July for as long as I can remember, there having been some disagreement in the family for which my clever child simply chose the most generous solution. I believed I was being correct in using the 28Th when I got my driver's license so many years ago, but the birth certificate Momma sent, when I got my passport much later, stated it was the 27Th... so in fact now they both are officially documented !

Stephen's mother Helen gave us this Op Art print by the Mexican artist Pablo Friedeberg as a nod, perhaps, to my boldly, if a bit pinkly, leonine aspects... even though I rarely actually blush. It has found a protected place to hang above the folded dining table where it gets little direct sunlight to fade its reds & pinks.



Stephen took me on a trip to celebrate. Even as I could have happily spent the season in our own garden, he has wanted to show me the garden at Hollyhock on Cortez Island for many years.

We drove, taking four ferries to three more islands from ours before taking another ferry to the Sunshine Coast of the Canadian mainland, visiting friends & one more island along the way. Ten days is more than I would have planned, but we needed that much for waiting in those 12 ferry lines! He is ever the consummate traveler! I could but continue to practice.

For now I will mostly note this travel by sharing the drawing I made in my round book while sitting & listening during the gathering we attended. This time we circled with a different breed...

I posted last year about this drawing book.

We visited the Royal BC Museum in Victoria & I was reminded of another similar version of this mask important during an earlier period of my life. The image attached itself to my searching mind as I contemplated this drawing.



An bowl carved of argelite continued such play...



The drawing took its own tack...






Later in the road trip I kept seeing notions of similar ilk... like this curious strut-like spacer on the power lines along the road, presumably it prevents the results of tangling winds...



Or the moon wheel covers of a beautifully restored auto also waiting to catch a ferry...



After dinner in Victoria we played at a luminary festival in the park near where we stayed. The Bucky balls captured Stephen...



Of the many views of gorgeous scenery I captured, here is but one, sandwiched by a deck plank's weathered pattern made by a long dead tree. That is life in the Northwest...






One more contemplation of blooming circularities is this first course dish which I made for one of our intimate dinners just before we left on the Canadian odyssey... a Hungarian Jicama Rose.



Here we are on Gambier Island with a map of the territory we are exploring behind us...



The shot was made with my camera supported atop a funny new toy of a tripod I'd discovered...



Finally... Leo brings annually these blooms to a cactus hanging over our bed. its red bringing 'round again the paprika of jicama roses & Freideberg.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed both post and pictures a LOT!

Glad you had a great birthday.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.